Scott Burgess fra The Daily Ablution er ved at pløje sig igennem de nys frigivne 5000 sider dokumentation fra amerikanernes koncentrationslejr. Og det er rystende læsning han har fundet efter gennemgang af de første 10% af papirerne.
Tydelige eksempler på tortur af værste skuffe:
Feroz Abbasi som forlod UK for at slutte sig til taleban eller kæmpe for allah i Kashmir fortæller (set 5, page 14):
During his time in Guantanamo, Mr. Abbasi (writing in the third person) alleges that he was:
- subject to [unspecified] “mental stress and pressure“
- “willfully misdirected … to pray north“
- deprived of “comfort items“
- subjected to an [apparently failed] “attempt to withdraw Qur’an“
- able to hear two guards having sex, while they “assumed he was asleep“
- distracted from his prayer by the “sharp intake of breath” of a female MP who’d been “sexually fondled“.
- offered a plate of pork
- the object of a conspiracy “to keep detainee ignorant of detainee’s allotted Tuesday recreation“
- subjected to a “partially successful” attempt to administer injections “under the guise of immunisation“, designed to “unhinge detainee’s mental and emotional stability“
While all of these acts are undeniably horrifying, being on a par with the worst excesses of Torquemada, even their totality pales in comparison with the most extreme of the tortures to which Mr. Abbasi was subjected.
- had his peanut butter eaten by a guard “right in front of him“.
One needn’t be a bleeding heart to shudder at the inhumanity thus displayed.
Læs hele historien på The Daily Ablution